Register an Account Image - Join our Discord Server Image

Have any questions? Need help with something? Contact us on Discord or check out our Help Forums.

Announcement: We have updated our multiple accounts policy. Please read here and submit the required information if your household plays on more than one account.

Donations are always welcome and help us with the upkeep of the server. Click click here to donate.

we have now added donorbox for those of you who cant use PayPal too. Thank you!

Help us stay #1 and vote for us Here and Come Join Us on Twitter

SR MacOS & Linux Launcher 1.0.2 Beta

Tyclo
Admiral
United States of America

SR MacOS & Linux Launcher 1.0.2 Beta

Post by Tyclo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:24 am

NOTE: This launcher is currently out of date and will not connect you to Sentinels Republic.
Please allow us some time to update our launcher.
In the mean time, if you would like to play on Sentinels Republic and would like to play using macOS or Linux, please contact staff on Discord.

This post is going to be mildly dirty and support is going to occur on a VERY limited basis.

Public Repo: https://github.com/DesporoWace/SR-Launcher

The Launcher itself will run native on your OS - But you will still need Wine in order to run the game.

There is no auto update for these versions of the Launcher. (Yet)

Linux
  • Install Wine: https://wiki.winehq.org/Download
  • Download the Linux Launcher
  • You may need to make the Launcher executable. Right click on the AppImage, select "Properties," go to the "Permissions" tab and check "Allow executing file as program," then close the window.
  • Run the AppImage Launcher Installer.
  • Follow the Launcher Setup and create a directory to install the game to.
  • ????
  • Play
If you have an trouble installing the Linux Launcher, try Naison's guide here: http://www.swgsremu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1856

Notes:
  • This was only tested on Debian 9 "stretch" x64
  • 32bit may not work.
Bugs:
MacOS
  • Install XQuartz: https://www.xquartz.org/releases/index.html
  • Install Wine: https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS
  • Restart
  • Download the MacOS Launcher
  • Mount the dmg and drag the Launcher into your Applications folder.
  • Open the Launcher App by holding "Option" and right clicking the app (two fingers) and selecting open. There will now be an option to open the app even though it isn't trusted.
  • Or allow all "Unsigned Apps" via these directions: Click Here - (I'm not paying Apple to sign an app...)
  • Run the "Sentinels Republic Launcher" App and wait for it to verify. This can take a few minutes.
  • Follow the Launcher Setup and create a directory to install the game to.
  • READ THE "IMPORTANT" LIST BELOW - Yes I'm shouting.
  • Play - (Probably won't run unless you follow the Important directions below)
IMPORTANT:
You may need to do the following before the "Play" and "SWG Options" buttons work in the Launcher. Alternatively, you can run the game and setup directly from their executable and just use the Launcher for patching.

Wine Path:
  • You may need to add "wine" to your path command manually.
  • You can test this by typing "wine" into Terminal. If you receive "command not found" you must do the following:
  • Open Terminal
  • Enter the following line by line and enter your password when prompt:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/wine
    sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/winecfg /usr/local/bin/winecfg
    sudo ln -s /Applications/Wine\ Stable.app/Contents/Resources/wine/bin/msiexec /usr/local/bin/msiexec
  • Test this worked by typing "wine" into terminal.
  • If you get anything other than "command not found" then you were successful.
"Play" Button Not Working:
I've been trying to figure this out, but will have to seek assistance to solve this problem further. MacOS seems to be blocking running Wine from opening an application when it's called by a packaged app, but it works with elevated privileges. You can probably thank Apple for this as it launches the game fine before I build the app.

You will need to open the App via terminal every time.
  • Open terminal
  • Run:

Code: Select all

sudo /Applications/Sentinels Republic Launcher.app
  • Enter your account password.
  • The "Play" and "SWG Options" should now work.
If someone has a better solution for launching an app with administrator privileges, please post. Also, yes, I know this is terrible, no one should ever launch an elevated app, but this is "Alpha" for a reason. Also, I'm not paying Apple to sign an app. :P (Which would probably fix it)

Bugs:
  • Will probably need to update manually until I figure that out.
  • There is no auto update, not a bug, intended, but worth noting.
  • The whole launching via terminal thing is a nightmare, it's not a permanent solution.
And this might be the first native MacOS launcher for an SWGEmu, so yayyyy.